Friday, February 17, 2012

Blog Post #4

podcast image




The articles I read fir this blog post were as followed, "Integrating ICT into the MFL Classroom" created by Joe Dale, "1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook" found on Langwitches's Blog page, and "Curriki - Podcast Collection" created by Judy Scharf. Each of these articles opened my eyes to the immense potential of Podcasting and/or Vodcasting.

In Joe Dale's article "Integrating ICT into the MFL Classroom",  I was able to see the benefits of Podcasting in a classroom as well as out of the classroom. For example, children in the classroom were much more in-tuned with the lecturing part, because of the use of Podcasting in the power point lectures. At home, students could get their assignments when they were sick. Parents could even follow along with their children on what they were doing in class with the use of these Podcasts uploaded by the teachers.

On the Langwitches's Blog Page I was able to see the impact a simple book had on children and how they made the book more interactive with Podcasts. The students that were listening were utilizing scripts to follow along with Podcasts. The whole endeavor seemed to bring new life to story time.

As for  "Curriki - Podcast Collection", this page gave me the basics. What Podcast/Vodcasts were and how to implement them. Tips to succeed in rolling out Podcasts in our classrooms. The programs students would use when creating a Podcast/Vodcast and how to use them.

This post was exceptionally difficult for me because I saw no real value in Podcasting or Vodcasting in relation to education, before reading those articles. Of course, I have never used Podcasts or watched Vodcasts, so my knowledge base on the subject was low. After reviewing these sites I was wrong. Listening to these young students using Podcast and/or Vodcasts to create projects seemed to evolve the process. Opening new doors and giving students better experiences in the classrooms. Hearing themselves recite a reading they did on a Podcast or watching themselves on a Vodcast brought out a certain look of accomplishment and joy. It is so great to see those students absorb the material in such a way as to promote success not only in themselves, but also in future learners.

Each of these writings has ample material I can now use to do and improve my Podcast and/or Vodcast. I really enjoyed the script, which I believe draws the readers in, presented in the Langwitches's Blog. I liked how students can read different parts and overlay them into one Podcast. This allowed for a more interactive listening experience, instead of a monotone lecture on the material. This was presented in Joe Dale's article. As for a reference I have Judy Scharf's post to refer back to, when I need help on the technical side of setting up and actively creating the project. I feel all three of these post will attribute to my Podcast and/or Vodcasts the best, because of what they will bring to my teams project. These in-turn will allow me to succeed in a greater magnitude even on my future Podcasts and/or Vodcasts.

2 comments:

  1. How easy it is to determine that something is worthless or useless before we even try it! I've been there, done that myself many times. I look forward to listening to your podcast now that you attitude has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,
    Dr. Strange is right. I remember when I hated sushi, until my wife made me try it. Now I eat it all the time. I am just like you in terms of not knowing anything about podcasting before this assignment. I have been experimenting with iMovie for a week and I still don't know much about it. I thought the video by Joe Dale as well as some of his links was the most helpful. What did you think?

    I thought your blog was very well written. The best I have read so far. It was concise and to the point. It flows very well and is easy to read. I would not change a thing about this post. I have read a few so far that seem like disasters. Great job!

    ReplyDelete